Piping multi coloured frosting
I found a really useful tip online for when you do multi coloured piping. So I tried it when decorating these ones:
You will need:
- 3 x bowls to mix the different colours in
- 3 x different colour food colouring
- 4 x piping bags
- Piping nozzle of your choice, I’ll use the Wilton 1M
- Oh and some cupcakes to pipe onto!
- To start: split your buttercream equally into the three bowls and add a different food colouring to each one.
- Once you’ve got the colours you want (I went for bright – Green, Blue and Pink), put the buttercream into the piping bags, without chopping the ends off, and squeeze it down toward the end. Now cut the ends off the bags.
TIP: I’D TRY AND GET AS MUCH OF THE AIR OUT AS POSSIBLE – AIR BUBBLES ARE NOT GOOD WHEN PIPING!
- Flatten these bags down slightly, with your hand, against a surface.
- Cut the end of the fourth piping bag and insert the nozzle you’ve chosen.
- Put all three of the bags filled with buttercream into the bag with the nozzle in it. Make sure they are right down toward the end and all equal. Otherwise you will have more of one colour at the start. We want the same amount of each.
- Pipe a small amount out into a spare bowl, until the colours come out like you want them to. Then begin piping onto your cupcakes in what ever way you want – I just swirled from the outside in.
TIP: THIS IS A REALLY GOOD EFFECT FOR UNICORN OR RAINBOW CAKES, AND THE BRIGHTER THE COLOURS THE BETTER!
It was surprisingly simple to get this effect. So give it a try and see what happens! I think even Kate would be OK with this. 🙂 Let me know!